Chartbeat's proprietary algorithm automatically classifies all pages of your website as Article/Content pages or Landing pages (e.g. homepage, section front pages, etc) based on URL structure and the unique traffic patterns for each page of your site. When Chartbeat tracking is first enabled for a site, all pages will initially register as article pages while our tool collects data to properly classify your pages. This process can take up to three days after your new site goes live with Chartbeat tracking. If your main homepages and section front pages are still not registering as Landing pages in your Real-Time Dashboard after a few days from activating your Site, contact our team and we'll manually reclassify those pages for your team.
How are these page types treated differently in Chartbeat?
- Traffic that arrives to your Landing pages without a referring URL is classified as Direct traffic in Chartbeat. We categorize referrer-less traffic to article pages as Direct-Social, also known as 'Email, apps, IMs' in our list of referrers.
- Only article pages will be listed in your Historical Dashboard 'Top Articles' list. Landing pages are excluded from this list.
- When using the Heads Up Display on your site, links to other article pages on your site will be assigned a HUD pin, whereas links to Landing pages will not be assigned pins.
- Recirculation from Landing pages (percentage of your real-time audience moving into additional pages of your site) will not factor into the site-wide Recirculation metric seen in your Site's Real-Time Dashboard. This metric is based on Internal traffic from article pages only.
- The Heads Up Display offers different data points for each page type, pictured in the following screenshots:
Landing page HUD console:
Article pages HUD console: