Let's start by defining some select Google Referrers:
- Google Organic Search: A reader clicks on an article, which was the result of a search on Google
- Google News: A reader clicks on an article from news.google.com or the Google News app
- Google Discover: A reader clicks on an article from the Google homepage, which has a feed of personalized articles for the user on mobile devices. This varies between iOS and Android
- Google Chrome Suggestions: A reader clicks on an article from “Articles for You” feed, which is found in a new tab of Google Chrome on mobile devices. This also varies between iOS and Android
- Google Quick Search Box (GQSB): An Android only search and recommendation feed shown in multiple places
How are each of these grouped in Chartbeat?
Google Organic Search, Google Chrome Suggestions (Android), Google Discover and Google Quick Search Box are all currently grouped under “Search” as a traffic source, and the Referrer “Google Search” in our Real-Time Dashboard.
Google Chrome Suggestion (iOS) is grouped under “Links” as a traffic source, and the Referrer “Google Chrome Suggestions” in our Real-Time Dashboard.
Google News is grouped under “Links” as a traffic source, and the Referrer “Google News” in our Real-Time Dashboard.
Can Chartbeat comprehensively distinguish between Google Discover and Google Organic Search referrers?
No, there are currently no methods to distinguish between Google Discover, Google Chrome Suggestion (Android), and Google Organic Search referrers in Chartbeat. This is because the referrer data provided by Google for all three sources are identical (google.com).
The only place where this breakout is done completely is in the Google Search Console, but the method in use there to break out traffic by these distinct referrers is proprietary to Google.
What is possible in terms of distinguishing traffic from different Google services?
Chartbeat is able to separate out Google Chrome Suggestions on iOS because Google uses a distinct referrer path for this source. Note that prior to February 2021, Google Chrome Suggestions referrer path was also distinct on Android, but this distinction is in the process of being phased out by Google.
Note that Google Quick Search Box, currently also grouped under the Referrer “Google Search” in Chartbeat, has a different referrer path that could be separated out. If we decide to make such a change, we will alert users of this change.