When your team is getting ready to change the domain name for a site already set up with Chartbeat, let's say from olddomain.com to newdomain.com, there are a few considerations related to your Chartbeat configuration.
First off, we do not currently support the ability to update existing site or dashboard names under your account, so that leaves us with two options to prepare your Chartbeat account for your website migration...
Option 1: Add a new site to your Chartbeat account and discontinue the previous dashboards.
Option 2: Continue using your existing dashboards with the old site name displayed throughout your Chartbeat apps.
To determine which option is best for your team, please review the below considerations for each with the Chartbeat administrators at your organization.
Add a new Site to your Chartbeat account
- Historical data associated with your preexisting Site in Chartbeat, "olddomain.com", will not transfer over to your new Site and will remain associated with the old Site in your account. This will be like adding an entirely new website to your Chartbeat account, so historical data will fill in over time and our Heads Up Display and Spike Alert systems will need some time to recalibrate to this "new" site's data before full functionality is restored.
- Any Chartbeat API integrations, including recurring reports for Advanced Queries, will need to be updated or recreated for the new Site.
- All users on your account who should have access to various Chartbeat tools for this site will need to be granted access to the new Site.
- User-specific Report subscriptions will not carry over from the old site to the new site, so your users will need to resubscribe to their Site, Section, and Author reports under the new Site.
Steps to implement:
- Add a new Site to your Chartbeat account; reach out to your Customer Success representative for assistance with this step, or get in touch with email@example.com if you're unsure of your Chartbeat account rep.
- The Chartbeat tracking code in your existing properties should be carried over to the new domain, with one key adjustment: ensure that the domain variable is updated to the new Site name in your Chartbeat account. Here's what that looks like for our standard web tracking code:
_sf_async_config.domain = 'newdomain.com';
Continue using your existing Site in Chartbeat with the old domain name
- Maintains continuity of the site's historical data in Chartbeat under the same dashboards.
- The old site name will continue to be displayed in your Sites page, mobile app, and throughout your Chartbeat account.
- Preexisting API integrations will continue working, users maintain access to existing Chartbeat tools for the Site, Report subscriptions remain intact.
Steps to implement:
- The Chartbeat tracking code in your existing properties should be carried over to the new domain, ensuring that the domain variable remains assigned to the previous Site name even after the domain update is performed for your site. Here's what that looks like for our standard web tracking code:
_sf_async_config.domain = 'olddomain.com';